Back in April I had the very unpleasant experience of having an electric shock collar applied to my hand live on The One Show on BBC 1 – and I described these devices as cruel and unnecessary. However Petsafe, the manufacturers of the collar, and the trade body supporting them, complained to Ofcom saying that they had been treated unfairly and unjustly.
However the BBC defended itself saying the focus had been on the use of the collars by pet owners rather than the manufacture or sale of the items and that neither body had been named.
A few days ago Ofcom ruled in favour of the BBC saying that ‘the program did not give and unfair impression of electric shock collars for dogs , that the program makers had taken care not to omit material facts relating to the collars and that it had not been necessary to offer an opportunity for the complainants to respond.
So a great result for common sense, animal welfare and dogs everywhere! And I am very happy to reiterate my view that electric shock collars are dangerous, unnecessary and should be banned everywhere – and if Petsafe or anyone else take exception to this, take me to court and prove otherwise!